dual-head card?

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:47:16 -0700

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:11:06PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> > moin, moin,
> >
> > what's the best dual-head card available with Free Software drivers, e.g.
> > already in XFree86?
> >
> > I'm mostly interested in tons of xterms, konqueror and a few other gui apps.
> >
> > I want it to be crystal clear, I mean down to the molecular level. I realize
> > that isn't available, so the closest to it will have to do.
> >
> > I need a high refresh rate ( > 80 ) at at least 1280x1024. 1600x1200 would
> > be better. 24 bit for colors.
>
> Two major cards I know of that do dual-headding in the same card are the ATI
> Radeon VE and the Matrox G400. Of the two, I'd reccommend the G400 because
> it's been around longer and Matrox tends to make clearer cards (their
> RAMDACs tend to be a bit better than ATI's, and besides, ATI's an evil
> closed-source corp, whereas Matrox has given out the specs to the hardware
> on the G400 without compromise). Thing is, it's pretty tricky to find one of
> these cards -- have to either order directly from Matrox or from some other
> non-advertised reseller.

I have a G400, but I would suggest getting the newer G450 -- it solves
the couple problems that the original G400 had.  Cannot say anything
about the ATI card.  As a note, I bought mine when I had the machine
custome built, and the builder actually had them in stock on the shelf.
I would be somewhat surprised if they were at Fry's, but you never know.

  EBo --