dual-head card?

Curtis Zinzilieta plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:58:24 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Thomas Mondoshawan Tate wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:11:06PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> > moin, moin,
> >
> > what's the best dual-head card available with Free Software drivers, e.g.
> > already in XFree86?
> >
> > I'm mostly interested in tons of xterms, konqueror and a few other gui apps.
> >
> > I want it to be crystal clear, I mean down to the molecular level. I realize
> > that isn't available, so the closest to it will have to do.
> >
> > I need a high refresh rate ( > 80 ) at at least 1280x1024. 1600x1200 would
> > be better. 24 bit for colors.
>
> Two major cards I know of that do dual-headding in the same card are the ATI
> Radeon VE and the Matrox G400. Of the two, I'd reccommend the G400 because
> it's been around longer and Matrox tends to make clearer cards (their
> RAMDACs tend to be a bit better than ATI's, and besides, ATI's an evil
> closed-source corp, whereas Matrox has given out the specs to the hardware
> on the G400 without compromise). Thing is, it's pretty tricky to find one of
> these cards -- have to either order directly from Matrox or from some other
> non-advertised reseller.
>
> --
> Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
> phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu
> http://tank.dyndns.org

It's the G450 now, actually.  I've had one running in my development
workstation since last summer, without fault.  It'll do 1600x1200 at 100hz
refresh.  (according to the spec.  I've never tried to drive mine over
1280x1024.)  I've got it attached to a pair of 19" NEC AccuSync 95F's, and
it looks pretty darn good.

And I always mailorder stuff, so I didn't consider this particularly hard
to find.  And the price was something like $130 back in the summer, so I'd
expect it to be better now.

-Curtis

Curtis Zinzilieta                                   voice: 928.527.0083
Consulting Engineer                                mobile: 520.606.5753
Red Hat Professional Services                 email: curtisz@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/                personal: clz@sw.incantations.com