Woohoo!!!

Isaac Sparrow plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:46:16 -0800

<snip>
> I won't join in the thought that their software stinks -
> it doesn't - there are some excellent features and they do keep
> improving it and they usually work backwards and actually implement base
> features by the second or third update/service release/service pack.
</snip>

I'm sorry. I know for a fact that MS software stinks. Sure there might be
some individual applications from MS that run fine, but as a whole their
software stinks. By software I also include the operating system.

Some examples:

The operating system (Win XP) sometimes refuses to recognize the usb mouse
when starting the system. Never happens on my linux box.

Win XP reboots the machine out of the blue (who knows why). My Linux box
never does that...

Internet Explorer is a security risk (can't be denied).

IIS is a security risk (can't be denied). My apache logs during the last
NIMDA outbreak were full of attempted IIS exploits. Sure you can get a patch
from MS, but will it break IIS all together? There first patch for NIMDA did
just that.

Outlook - need I say anything about this one?

I run Win95/98/NT4/2000/XP in the shop here for testing purposes. When it
comes to real work I write code on my linux boxes and run servers on Solaris.

Speaking of software. Win2k copied their tcp/ip stack code from BSD. So that
is an example of good software.

As for me, I will not pay money to Microsoft to be their alpha/beta tester.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Isaac Sparrow
Staff Engineer
VisiComp, Inc.
http://www.visicomp.com

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
1060 5A07 F6EC B2B3 9AAA 3EA5 7B79 EFE1 6397 4F47
Get my public key at:
http://www.concentric.net/~issparow

QOTD:
	"It wouldn't have been anything, even if it were gonna be a thing."