486SX runs "newish" Linux?

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 23:16:13 -0700

On Sunday 18 November 2001 11:09 pm, you wrote:
> debian shouldn't have a prob ( other than those normal problems others on
> the list might be happy to point out ;-). It's meant to still be
> installable on a 386. If you have won one of the bootable business cards
> you could use that to install debian ( or so they claim ).
>
> http://www.lnx-bbc.org/
>
> There's also knoppix. It's a debian-based live distro that runs from CD. I
> can make a copy for you.
>
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

I will think about these, thanks.

> Don't know if there'll be a prob without the math coprocessor, but there
> shouldn't be.

This one surpized me too.  I was booting from the RH 7.2 boot disk, created
from the standard disto CDs.  It was going through the install kernel load
messages and then just printed a couple of lines about "no co-processor
found.  Giving up." or something like that.  It is a 486SX so it doesn't have
a co-processor.  I assume that RH stopped supporting CPUs without a
co-processor somewhere along the way, at least in the standard distro.

A well, just try another distro...

Alan