[kde] Saved desktop information location?

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 22:16:25 -0700 (MST)

Am 18. Nov, 2001 schwätzte Patrick Fleming EA so:

> On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Lucas Vogel wrote:
>
> > Whenever I start up KDE for my login I get it trying to load two or three
> > PS/PDF viewer sessions. I would like to remove this out of wherever it is
> > stored so that it doesn't do this every time I try to log on. Anyone know
> > where this stuff is at?
>
> I had this happening using Gnome/Sawfish- rm -rf $home/.gnome/session
> worked to eliminate these windows opening. It wasn't those viewers, but
> rather half a dozen Xterms and a couple of kppp error messages.

The problem with gnome is that often both gnome and the underlying window
manager save state. Then both of them replace it. The following time you can
end up with double what you had last time. More than 80 xterms at startup on
my laptop is, uh, non-productive.

I see this behavior a lot on machine in which I don't ever logoff. On the
laptop I just issue a shutdown from an xterm. X or whatever doesn't handle
that properly :(.

KDE shouldn't normally have this problem since the K Desktop usually uses
its own window manager. In other words they shouldn't be fighting to see who
gets to open the apps.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --