486SX runs "newish" Linux?

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 23:09:09 -0700 (MST)

Am 18. Nov, 2001 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:

> I have an old 486SX PC that I thought would be good as a basic Linux install
> to allow my kids to surf with.  It's specs are below.

debian shouldn't have a prob ( other than those normal problems others on
the list might be happy to point out ;-). It's meant to still be installable
on a 386. If you have won one of the bootable business cards you could use
that to install debian ( or so they claim ).

http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

There's also knoppix. It's a debian-based live distro that runs from CD. I
can make a copy for you.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

> RH 7.2 install just gets a little ways in and gives up because there is no
> math co-processor.  Slackware 8.0 when clear through the entire installation

Don't know if there'll be a prob without the math coprocessor, but there
shouldn't be.

> and fails on the first actual boot, printing "LI" of the lilo boot message
> and freezing completely.

Same with LILO.

We run debian on 486 type boxen at work.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.