Trouble sending email

Rick Rosinski plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 03 Nov 2001 04:25:00 -0700

I just found out that I can't send email through kmail anymore.  It says
that the smtp host couldn't be found.  I am an earthlink (formerly
mindspring) subscriber.  My "real" email address has mindspring.com.  I was
using mail.mindspring.com for smtp.  That worked until recently (the error).
  So, I checked the help pages on the web, and they want smtp.earthlink.net.
  I tried that, and got the same error.  Nothing on my system has been
changed (especially KDE).  I kept the smtp port at 25 as it was before.  I
also tried smtp.mindspring.com, mail.earthlink.net.

And, I don't *DARE* try earthlink technical support - they always assume
they know more than you, and when you try asking them questions, like "What
SMTP port does your system use?", they'd answer the question with a
question, like what system and software am I using? - evading my question,
instead of them saying that "they don't know" - and they do not support
Linux (only Windows and Mac.)

Please help!