technical writers are masochists

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 29 May 2001 23:53:39 -0700 (MST)

Am 28. May, 2001 schwäzte Trent Shipley so:

> Is it standard practice for the programming/engineering staff to say we
> have done a s??t-load of modifications to the software.  It is now on the
> server.  Please log on and figure out what the modifications are.  We are
> much too important and busy to give you a list of the modifications.  When
> you have a list of modifications, please figure out what they probably do,
> then submit updated drafts of the documentation that we never reviewed the
> last time you submitted them for review.

Probably won't help, but maybe try documenting what it is that you need from
them. Submit it as their responsibility. From what you describe they'll
ignore it, but maybe it'll get them to respond.

> What if the programmer is also the owner of the company?

Try voodoo? :)

>    Any advice on how to *become* a programmer or manager?

As for becoming a programmer: if you have access to the source code you're
documenting, learn how to read it ( which it seems is what they're requiring
) and learn how to fix the bugs you run into while testing. The latter will
almost certainly win you no friends, especially in an environment such as
you're describing, but it will gain you valuable experience.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com