Ethics Question

Lowell Hamilton plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 05 May 2001 09:38:58 -0700

There isn't really a 'new' bind exploit, but there are the same old ones
spread everywhere.  It's very worth-while to scan around for bind
exploits, because if you think about it, how many people (especially
home users and people new to linux) sat and downloaded all the patches
and updates for their box as soon as they installed their shiney new
Redhat 6.1 they got for $5 at Egghead.... or worse yet, how many people
don't know an exploit even exists or that you have to update your OS...
or think "nah, they will never get me I'm just a home user".  Break a
couple hundred dsl and cablemodem users, and you have enough DDos power
to take down a larger website.

Lowell