multi-platform GUI choice

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 01:15:01 -0700

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> On Saturday 28 July 2001 11:15 pm, John (EBo) David wrote:
> >   Qt
>
> I know quite a bit about Qt.  If you have any specific questions, feel free
> to ask me directly.
>
> > do you know of others?  What GUI builder tools are out there that you
> > know of?  How verbose is the code, and how easy are the tools to use.
>
> Qt is currently available for Unix and Windows.  Sometime soon, it will also
> support Mac (probably OSX, not Mac Classic).  Qt ships with "Qt Designer"
> which is a GUI/form creation tool.  Quite nice!

OK... I'll play with this a bit and see.

> Er.. this is a bit.. confused :-)  Qt is copyrighted by Trolltech.  This will
> not ever change.  What you are referring to is the license for it.  If you
> want more drawn out history, I can give it.. but the short version is this:

:-)  Sorry I was not more careful with my words...  Yes I ment licensing
not copyright.

> ... If you have a closed source project, then you
> must use the Qt Professional license.  This one costs money.

Ok... how much, etc.

My questions are motivated by not only my current programming needs
(which will be release in the public domain), but also for strategic
skills planning.  I do not want to spend all the time learning a bunch
of new GUI's if I cannot use them commercially.  That was a problem I
had with Khoros.  I could tell you a couple of cool stories about
developing software to manipulate 5 dimentional datasets, with GUI front
ends, command line options, and glyphs to be used in iconographic
programming -- in just a couple of minuites...  Great tool, but they've
changed their licensing and price structure such that I can no longer
offord to use it to build code I give away ;-)

> Hope that made sense.

yes, thank you...

 EBo --