multi-platform GUI choice

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:04:22 -0700

On Sunday 29 July 2001 01:15 am, John (EBo) David wrote:
> > ... If you have a closed source project, then you
> > must use the Qt Professional license.  This one costs money.
>
> Ok... how much, etc.

http://www.trolltech.com/products/purchase/pricing.html

Keep in mind whenever "commercial" is used, they are very specificially
talking about CLOSED-SOURCE.  You can make money on your programs and still
use the GPL.

You might also want to see their Windows "non-commercial" license:
http://www.trolltech.com/company/announce/noncommercial.html

> My questions are motivated by not only my current programming needs
> (which will be release in the public domain), but also for strategic
> skills planning.  I do not want to spend all the time learning a bunch
> of new GUI's if I cannot use them commercially.

This is not a problem.  As long as your software is free, you may use Qt for
free.  When you close it off, you pay for Qt.  Simple!

For a bit more info on this topic, check out the chapter I wrote on KDE/Qt
license issues for the KDE 2.0 Development book.  It has a FAQ that I found
answers *most* normal questions:
http://www.andamooka.org/reader.pl?pgid=kde20develch19
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop