multi-platform GUI choice

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:42:33 -0700

On Saturday 28 July 2001 11:15 pm, John (EBo) David wrote:
>   Qt

I know quite a bit about Qt.  If you have any specific questions, feel free
to ask me directly.

> do you know of others?  What GUI builder tools are out there that you
> know of?  How verbose is the code, and how easy are the tools to use.

Qt is currently available for Unix and Windows.  Sometime soon, it will also
support Mac (probably OSX, not Mac Classic).  Qt ships with "Qt Designer"
which is a GUI/form creation tool.  Quite nice!

Qt is the most consistent and intuitive object oriented library I have ever
used, bar none.  It is also very well documented and has very quick and
knowledge support (when necessary).  The quality of Qt was the single reason
I started working on KDE in the first place.

> Also, I have heard rumors that Qt changed their copyright lately and set
> it up more GPL like.  Can anyone comment?

Er.. this is a bit.. confused :-)  Qt is copyrighted by Trolltech.  This will
not ever change.  What you are referring to is the license for it.  If you
want more drawn out history, I can give it.. but the short version is this:

Qt is covered under a triple license.  That is, as long as you satisify the
terms of a given license, you may use the library under that license.  The
three licenses are GPL, QPL, and Qt Professional.  You may use Qt under the
GPL as long as your software is capable of using a GPLed library (i.e., is
free software itself).  You may use the QPL as long as it is Open Source and
you agree to the QPLs terms.  If you have a closed source project, then you
must use the Qt Professional license.  This one costs money.

That applys to the Unix version of Qt.  The Windows version is either Qt
Professional (same as Unix one) or a "noncommercial" license (not GPL) that
allows you to use Qt free of charge as long as your application is free (as
in beer, not speach).

Hope that made sense.
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop