Dual boot question...

Tara Johnson plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:21:10 -0700

At 09:53 PM 7/23/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>"Lynn P. Tilby" wrote:
>>
>> I have a box with 2 scsi hd's.  I want to load NT on the non-root drive and
>> make it a dual boot system without reinstalling my RedHat system.  What is
>> the best way to go about doing this?

Hi Lynn,

The first thing to do is to re-install LILO to run off of the superblock of
the linux partition.  Also be sure to make a LILO boot disk so that you can
get back into linux after you've installed NT

Install NT on your system on your other drive.  when you are done
installing NT, then load up linux using your bootdisk

mount the NT hard drive in linux.  This is the command to use, assuming you
have mounted NT's C: to /mnt/nt/ and linux is installed on /dev/sdb:

as root type in,

dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/mnt/nt/boot.lnx bs=512 count=1

reboot your computer into NT
open up c:\boot.ini with notepad (this is a hidden system file)

at the bottom of the file, add something like:

c:\boot.lnx="Load Linux"

then just reboot, and you should be able to pick "Load Linux" from the
dropdown list, and have it load up.  Just be sure to run dd again if you
change your LILO configuration.

good luck,
Tara