hello

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:41:07 +0000

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> On Monday 02 July 2001 10:47 am, Jason wrote:
> > My box locked up recently due to what I believe to be three things:
> >
> > 1. xlock keeping CPU usage high
> > 2. dust on the fansink. a LOT of dust.
> > 3. the homeowner being somewhat cheap, always sets the AC up to 76 (I
> > like 74). I think he overtwisted it cause it was on 80 that day.
>
> FWIW, I doubt that #3 has anything to do with it.  In my experience, CPUs
> don't lock until they get near or above 60C (about 140F).  In any event, the
> difference between 76 and 80 is nothing to a CPU.
>
> Also FWIW, being cheap myself, I keep the temperature of my house at 78-80
> depending on the time of day.  One of my linux servers has now been up
> solidly for nearly 3 months with no flucuations in temperature that I can't
> explain.

We're borh correct.
#3 was significant ONLY in that it was the "straw that broke the
camels back".

The fault lies 90% with a dust packed CPU fansink... which is a reason
why NOT to leave an open case system on the floor if you happen to
live in Atrashy Junction, as I do. I've recently raised its elevation
by a few feet, which means dusting twice a year may be enough (the
schedule I am more used to)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|