hello

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:30:57 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Kurt Granroth on 7/2/2001 10:43 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ On Monday 02 July 2001 10:47 am, Jason wrote:
\_ > My box locked up recently due to what I believe to be three things:
\_ >
\_ > 1. xlock keeping CPU usage high
\_ > 2. dust on the fansink. a LOT of dust.
\_ > 3. the homeowner being somewhat cheap, always sets the AC up to 76 (I
\_ > like 74). I think he overtwisted it cause it was on 80 that day.
\_
\_ FWIW, I doubt that #3 has anything to do with it.  In my experience, CPUs
\_ don't lock until they get near or above 60C (about 140F).  In any event, the
\_ difference between 76 and 80 is nothing to a CPU.
\_
\_ Also FWIW, being cheap myself, I keep the temperature of my house at 78-80
\_ depending on the time of day.  One of my linux servers has now been up
\_ solidly for nearly 3 months with no flucuations in temperature that I can't
\_ explain.

I've been gone for a weekend with the box idling at the thermostat at
85 and the box is still healthy.

David