In desperate need of inexpensive working Network card!

James Carter plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:13:12 -0700

Great! Thank you for the great response I appreciate it. I only have one PCI
slot, which is why I have to use the ISA card in the first place. What I am
attempting to do is build a router with an old Packard Bell 486DX machine. I
chose this machine as it holds a small footprint in a shelf on my desk. It
is working great, aside from the PCI NIC not working nicely with the ISA
NIC.

I would like to use the ISA NIC to serve as my WAN link, and the PCI NIC to
serve as my internal private LAN gateway......thus doing simple NAT. With
that said and done, I could then focus on the more advanced routing,
firewalling and IDS. I think with what you have said thus far has given me
enough to work with. I appreciate your help, and the help that I have
received from the rest of the group here.

I currently do have an ISA card in the box but need to give it back as it
was borrowed from a friend that has need of it. So I would need to purchase
an ISA card.....and would like to stick with the 3com cards.

In anyones opinion, would it be better if I went with 2 ISA cards instead of
1 PCI and 1 ISA? I am also planning on incorporating a modem into the
mix......so if 2 ISA cards would work that may be all the better.

Thanks again for all your help I do appreciate it.