In desperate need of inexpensive working Network card!

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:35:40 -0700

----
Given that RH 7.1 will detect and install proper drivers for almost all PCI
NIC cards and that you can pick up Linksys cards at Fry's for about $10 and
$17 for SMC EZ, I think that fooling around with anything else is probably
foolish.

But - if you are determined to make the 509B work - you will have to make
certain that it is set to an IRQ that isn't already in use, that it is IRQ
10 or less (leaving only 3,4,5,7,9,10) and subtract 3 &/or 4 if you have
modem(s), another serial device, 7 if you have a parellel printer or other
device, 5, 9 & 10 if you use a sound card - THEN ...

it should detect the card - if you have more than one in your machine - you
need to configure them all on on the first card... i.e you have 2 of the
same cards eth0 & eth1. You have to configure eth0 with the specific IRQ,
BaseAddr, deviceDriver...values for both NIC's on the same line.

eth0
3COM509XXX
ip=192.168.1.1,192.168.2.1
sm=255.255.255.0,255.255.255.0
IRQ=10,5
BASE=0x300,0x260

and leave eth1 blank - except for active - that must be checked.

Craig