Firewall

Bill Warner wwarner@direct-alliance.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:39:31 -0700

>Why would you ever have to reboot?? (sorry for the wise ass remark just
>couldn't resist.) <g>

Actually I see this as one of the biggest down falls of linux in general.
After having uptimes of several months with no maintance or reboots needed
you never know what kind of fire wall rules, kernel customizations, deamons
you started 6 months ago and such that are not going to come up on reboot.
This can obviously open up several security holes that you thought were
fixed.

At least with Windows you get to test and make sure that yours servers are
going to come back up daily.  (Sometimes more often than just daily.) I
think that the kernel needs a few more hard locking bugs and perhaps a
"blue screen of death" to really fit into the coorprate world.

PS. If you couldn't see the sarcasm dripping off of all that please disregard
the entire message.
Thankyou

>On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, cj wrote:

>> I hope this question isn't beneath PLUG's members, but I'm still pretty newbie. I'm running the 2.4.0 kernel on Slackware 7.1. I'm trying to set up iptables as a firewall and have compiled all the modules into the kernel. I have a pretty good script (got it off the Web), but I can't figure out how to get it to run. If I type all the commands in the shell, they work fine, but when I reboot for any reason, they're gone; obviously, iptables works just fine. Slackware uses /etc/rc.d/rc.local to run scripts just before or after going multiuser so I'd only be exposed fo a few seconds and have no other services (that I'm aware of) running; I've already shut down everything in inetd.conf. That being said, I don't know how to shell script in rc.local so I can call up my firewall script. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> CJ
>>

>Carl Parrish
>webmaster
>www.carlparrish.com