cable modem

Shawn T. Rutledge ecloud@bigfoot.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:53:26 -0700

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 07:19:13PM -0700, Mike Starke wrote:
> Her friend informed me that cox will only 'support'
> certain cable modems; otherwise there is a charge
> for the install. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds a bot strange.

Well it used to be because they're not interchangeable.  The one
I rent from them is a LanCity modem; I don't know if there are
others that are compatible with it now or not.  Anyway they will
sell you a modem if that's what you want.  And you can certainly
use a BSD box as a firewall, I do it with Linux myself... but it
should have two NICs, one for the modem and one for the LAN.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org