cable modem

Shawn T. Rutledge ecloud@bigfoot.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:09:22 -0700

Right, well it looks like there is a standard now... my setup is probably
"old school" now.  http://www.cablemodem.com/ has stuff about the
DOCSIS standard; http://www.cox.com/Phoenix/CoxAtHome/approved.asp
shows @home's modem list.  LanCity isn't even listed.  So I wonder
how long before they will be wanting to replace mine because it's
obsolete.

If I just plug in a new modem, LanCity or another kind, would it just
work, or would it require configuration changes on their end?  And
would I be likely to lose my static IP, due either to the modem
or to the configuration changes that they'd probably make?  I'm
thinking maybe they identify the customer by means of a unique ID in
the modem, and a different modem would have a different one, and so
maybe when it handshakes with the network and gets its IP address,
it would come up different.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org