cable modem

Mike Starke mgcon@neta.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:19:13 -0700 (MST)

My ex is about to get an @home account and I would
like to help her out a bit and put a firewall between
her and the world. I have no experience with dealing
with cox, but am making the assumption this should
be a brainless install (for me).

Her friend informed me that cox will only 'support'
certain cable modems; otherwise there is a charge
for the install. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds a bot strange.

My plan is simple:
Whip together a OpenBSd box, ask you fine folks for
a lead on purchasing a cable modem, and throw a nic
card in all the pc's in the house.
I plan on providing my daughters pc as the box that cox
an complete their install, then duplicate the settings
on the 'bsd, rearrange the cables a bit, and everyone is
happy.

I am assuming the cable modem can work as  follows:

cox -> cable modem -> openBSD -> hub -> family

Anyone have a cable modem I could purchase? Any recommendations
as to a brand/model ?

This shouldn;t turn into a science project, I am assuming
all I need is a cable modem.
Mike
mgcon@getnet.com
http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon