question

Brian Cluff brian@snaptek.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:42:17 -0700

If you are using your old initrd, that could be your problem.  The initrd
file is an initial ram disk that the kernel has access to that hold modules
that it would need on boot, such as scsi or RAID drivers.   More than
likely, unless you are using scsi or booting off a RAID, you probably don't
need one at all.   If you do find that you need one you can make a new one
by running the command such as mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.45-1.img 2.4.1

You also need a distro that is capable of running a 2.4 kernel.  I
personally don't know if Stormix/Debian is right now, but I know that bad
things can happen if you try to run a kernel on a system that isn't ready
for it.  I personally have been running it for a while on a Mandrake 7.2
distro and it's awesome compared to the 2.2 kernels....  soooo much smoother
on my little SMP system.... and all the stupid hardware problems that the
2.2 kernel had with a BP6 motherboard are all gone.
I would definatly check around to see if stormix is ready though.

Brian Cluff