2.4 Kernel (was Re: question)

Rick Rosinski rick@rickrosinski.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:54:19 +0000

I am using Slack 7.1 with a 2.2.16 kernel.  Everything works fine, so I put
off upgrading the kernel until the new Slack version comes out (god only
knows when).  It is supposed to have the 2.4 kernel.  It is much smoother?
What do you mean by that?  Is it faster, or do programs run without freezing
the system for a split second - as it sometimes does?  I want to upgrade to
the new kernel, but I don't know if my current installation is ready (and how
would I know whether or not I can run the kernel?).  I am hesitant to upgrade
to the new kernel because I will have to recompile a few apps that depend on
kernel code, and also because I don't know if my system will support it.
What are the benefits and / or new features that 2.4 offers?  Things seem to
be running o.k. with 2.2.16?  Should I even bother with the new kernel?