[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:59:47 -0700 (MST)

Am 11. Feb, 2001 schwäzte CIE-Keith so:

I thought they include an "anything else illegal" clause nowadays? Maybe
that was just 80's TV (last time I watched TV).

> If the warrant is executed in a reasonable manner and while searching
> for that 50lbs of pot they find a box of illegal guns the police can
> charge you with that too.  Search warrants are tricky.  If they are
> looking for a car that has not been chopped and they look in your desk
> drawer and find a sawed off shotgun that more than likely will not
> pass the test of the "elephant in a shoe box" test.  In other words if
> looking for an elephant don't look in a shoe box, it is not reasonable
> to expect to find the elephant in the shoebox.  Now if the warrant
> said I was also looking for a letter you had written about wanting to
> sell the elephant, looking in the show box is reasonable because the
> letter could be in there.  If I find a sawed off shotgun You will be
> charged with that too.

I think this has more to do the reasonable cause stuff where they don't
need a search warrant.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans