[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers

CIE-Keith keith@christianexchange.org
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:08:59 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Todd Hought <thought@scudder-enterprises.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [OT] -- Fry's and other retailers

> AND, IIRC, from the dark ages of my employment back in retail, the
only way
> that anyone from a business can search you for something that may be
stolen
> is if they know precisely what you have and where it is (pocket,
orifice,
> etc.)
> It's like a search warrant, if the cops have a search warrant for
50lbs of
> pot, and they find a bunch of illegal firearms in your house as
well, they
> don't count. Warrants are specific that way...
> -T

If the warrant is executed in a reasonable manner and while searching
for that 50lbs of pot they find a box of illegal guns the police can
charge you with that too.  Search warrants are tricky.  If they are
looking for a car that has not been chopped and they look in your desk
drawer and find a sawed off shotgun that more than likely will not
pass the test of the "elephant in a shoe box" test.  In other words if
looking for an elephant don't look in a shoe box, it is not reasonable
to expect to find the elephant in the shoebox.  Now if the warrant
said I was also looking for a letter you had written about wanting to
sell the elephant, looking in the show box is reasonable because the
letter could be in there.  If I find a sawed off shotgun You will be
charged with that too.

Keith