Fwd: Linux and Ricohet was Re: Hard DSL Outage, MagusNet, Inc. is down

Jean Francois azjeanfrancois@yahoo.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:32:12 -0800 (PST)

--0-159259470-981394332=:6908

Forgot the attchment.

--- Jean Francois <azjeanfrancois@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Looks like Ricochet covers Gilbert nicely.
>
> See the attachmet on details I found about Ricochet
> use with Linux. Looks like Wes was right on the mark
> with his assesment. If I can get a /29 I am back in
> business.

--0-159259470-981394332=:6908

     * Subject: ricochet
     * From: ncm@cantrip.org (Nathan Myers)
     * Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 00:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
     * Cc: fbyte@netpod.com, pasha@generic.yamato.com
     * Sender: owner-balug@sifry.com

Mark Stone wrote:
> After a bit of tweaking, and some invaluable tips from this list, I've got
> a Ricochet wireless modem working with Linux.  ...

The new pricing is great news: $99 + $30/mo!

> (3) To Linux, the modem looks just like any other. The trick in setting up
> your chat script is to send no login name or password. Each modem
> broadcasts its serial number automatically as its log on authentication;
> sending any extra information will trash the connect attempt.

There's a Linux driver that talks directly to the hardware, bypassing
PPP, that is a lot more efficient: it's called STRIP in the kernel
configuration.  Throughput is up to 100Kbps because of the greater
efficiencies.  On the down side, to connect to the "rest" of the Internet
you would need to have an extra Ricochet attached to a "base station",
and doing IP forwarding through a wire.

OTOH, load balancing works with PPP, but not (yet) with the STRIP
driver.  You could have four Ricochets on four serial ports working
simultaneously, at less than the price for a leased line, with more
capacity.  In that case you'd still need a base station to merge your
packet streams back together and put them on a wire, but it wouldn't
need Ricochet radios of its own; packets would arrive over the wire
for reassembly from Ricochet's gateway.

For more information on the STRIP driver, see

   http://mosquitonet.stanford.edu/software/strip.html

Nathan Myers
ncm@cantrip.org