regarding wiredglobal

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 11:52:55 -0700 (MST)

Am 04. Feb, 2001 schwäzte proudhawk@uswestmail.net so:

> The prome is, cox@home does NOT support linux and any time you mention
> it, they immediately say "that OS is not supported and we cannot help
> you with YOUR problem", eve when the network outage is obviously
> something on thier end of things.
>
> I recently had a network outage and it took going up through to a
> super in tier 2 support before I got hold on an old unix man and tald
> him what my system was saying. Only then was I listened to and only
> then was it determined to be a node failure that caused the outage.

Yes, the problem here is people who don't know enough or don't have a
secondary connection with which to troubleshoot the problem. You can't
necessarily determine it's their node if you can't get on their network
and look at the problem :(.

I know more than the techs doing customer support, but I'm still far from
the most knowledgable person. Those who don't have the knowledge or
access, however, can be in a difficult situation.

I don't necessarily care that they don't support Linux. Shouldn't matter
for the most part as far as broadband is concerned. Maybe require the
customer to have an external modem/router. Then if the ISP can't contact
the router the OS on the customer machine shouldn't matter. I prefer to go
with external modems/routers for this reason.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  A Polish friend of mine got an offer for a free account from AOL. The