Methodology or Philosophy of Troubleshooting

Eric Van Buskirk plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 21:44:36 -0800

Hi,

I am trying to develop a bag of tricks here.  Because now I must admit that
when I get anything other than a networking problem (I am not a coder), I am
frozen; a deer in the headlights.  So I would like to ask whether anyone has
some general thoughts on how to tackle a Linux problem; whether anyone has
some heurisms or general methodolgies or truths that they would like to
share.  So perhaps I could explain the problem, and someone could explain
the thought process of how to solve it?

I loaded RH 7.1 on my laptop (again).  Linuxconf was somehow not installed,
so I installed it via rpm ("rpm -ih linuxfonf-1.24r2-10.i386.rpm").  But rpm
would not install it because it failed a dependency: it first wanted "gd."
So I installed gd-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm.  Then I typed "linuxconf" and the
following error message was displayed: ""linuxconf: error while loading
shared libraries: libgd.so.1.8: cannot load shared object file: No such file
or directory".

Not knowing what the hell that meant, I loaded libgd-1.3-4.i386.rpm which
seemingly had not been loaded during the original install.  Still, however,
I receive the same error message when I type "linuxconf."

So I thought maybe I should look at the source code (is that how problems
like this are solved)??? But I am not sure which file to look at.  I don't
even know how to look at linuxconf , as I don't know where it is ("find
/ -name linuxconf*" did not turn it up).

So could someone tell me how to tackle this.  What is the

Thank you,

Eric