[OT] Tray-loading vs. Slot-loading

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 20:13:41 -0700 (MST)

> Money not being an object, what are the advantages and
> disadvantages of a slot-loading CD/DVD-ROM drive
> vs. a tray-loading drive?
>
> I imagine a slot-loading is more convenient since no tray
> needs to be moved, but I've heard they can break easily.

It used to be that the slot loaders would scratch your cd's, but these
days I think they have the technology down pretty good.
I just want to know what happened to the cdrom's that needed the caddy.
I know that you can still get them special order, but I think that most
people just use them for cd library jukeboxes where there will be a lot of
cd changing and you don't want to screw up your cd.

I think it's really down to your preferance as to what kind you get these
days, one is as good as the other.  I personally prefer a try loading
system.  It just seems more relyable and less likely to scratch my cd if
it does break, or start to wear.

Brian Cluff