Alternatives to Frys?

Kimbro Staken plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:35:51 -0700

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
> > The LinkSys internet routers are marginal quality.
> >
> > You should be ashamed of buying one of these since you are 'linux' informed.
> > There is nothing that this LinkSys router can do that you can't easily
> > accomplish running Linux with  2 NIC's.
>
> I disagree.  I was using a Linux box with 2 NICs as my router and
> wasn't very pleased.  It was too big, too hot, and too loud to be used
> in my living room (where my BB cable comes in).  I got a Linuxsys
> router and have been pleased as punch ever since.

Maybe this is a silly question but does it do NAT and port forwarding
for services? I've used a linux box for this for the last 4 years but
I'm an audiophile and this thing sits in the closet of my listening
room. Even with the door closed I can still hear the humming of the hard
drive and power supply fan. I would love to have something much quieter
and $130 might just be worth it for some peace.