Ask PLUG: best OS for wireless applications

Mark Firestone mark@microsolve.co.uk
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:40:43 +0100

I hear what you say.  I agree with you.  I don't think it is a good idea
to upgrade anything to Windows 2000.  All the fresh installs I have done
have worked fine.

I think it is a bit of a (ok, total) pig on system resources.  A machine
that
is just lightning fast on Windows NT4 (say, 1ghz chip / 256meg of ram) is
reasonable on 2000.

As far as the repair disk goes, I have tried what you say, and had it fail
totally.  I have had more than on 2000 pro system suddenly refuse to boot,
with a BSOD, ran the repair from the Win2k CD with the repair disk, and had
it end up exactly the same after the repair.  Reinstall required.  Thank
God for tape backup, batman!

Mark

Actually Mark, I'm much in agreement with Alan on the stability of Win2K.
The biggest problem with Win2K is much like linux, the device drivers had to
be newly created and there are gaps in available device drivers. If you have
hardware and software that is truly suited for using with Win2K, then it
works great, if not, then your mileage may vary. I am not a proponent of
simply installing Win2K professional on any computer currently running
Windows 98 or 95 and upgrading it.

If you have Win2K and a suitable emergency repair disk, then use the console
app or boot the Win2K CD and you should be able to fix the Win2K in just a
few minutes.

Craig