Linux & Proliant

Datawolf datawolf@uncultured.org
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 23:12:11 -0700

I've used Linux on a lot of Proliants.  Mostly 1600R's (nice and cheap),
also DL360's, and (I think) ML370's.  I've been impressed.  I think
Compaq is much better at making servers than they are at anything else.

Most (all?) of the Proliants are Linux certified, including all the
items on the official accessory lists.

   http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/linux/

I've never had any real trouble with them, except for the occaisional
drivers that haven't made it into whatever distro version I'm
installing.  But all the drivers are readily available.

I've never had any trouble with SMP, uniprocessor, or a single processor
in an SMP mobo.  I've used the standard SCSI, I've used hardware and
software RAID, I've hotswapped drives.  And in a year and a half, I
don't think I've ever had to pull anything off a tape because of a
hardware failure.

The DL360's are a really cool 1U unit, with built in dual NIC's, built
in RAID 0 and 1, two front hot-swappable hard drives, CD-ROM and floppy
(slim and stacked, to make room for the HD's), up to dual PIII-800, up
to 4GB RAM (I think), and to top it all off, two open full length PCI
slots.  The physical layout is very clean.  And if you need more drives,
you can always attach an external drive array (especially if you were
going to anyway).

-Datawolf