Linux and AppleTalk

Gordon Chamberlin glac@visualizeinc.com
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 16:27:14 -0700

Hello,

Sorry if this question is a repeat.  I sent it once, but didn't see it see on the list.

I'm setting up a redhat 6.2 box to talk via AppleTalk.  I've tried a few different things to set it up.  The netatalk rpm available at ftp://contrib.redhat.com/pub/contrib/libc6/i386/ won't boot.  It always complains that there aren't any interfaces available.

I tried using the precompiled binaries available at http://www.thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/.  The iMac could see the linux server, ask for a user name and password, but then would authentic.  The guest access seemed to work but didn't have any shares in the list.

Reading further at that page, it states that if a person can't login from a Mac to the linux server it is usually a problem with shadow passwords.  However, I did download the one that stated it had shadow password support.

If someone has some experience with this, any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
 -Gordon
--
  Gordon Chamberlin		Software Architect