Linux and AppleTalk

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:03:00 -0700

Yes, use the tarballs from thehamptons - not the rpm

then there is another issue with redhat 6.2 - see below - finally, make sure
that you are changing the correct configuration file because the
configuration file for the rpm is not necessarily the same file as the
tarball will require. Make sure that you create the 'share' and check the
syslog for errors.

'man modprobe' ... the kernel documentation tells you the module name
appletalk.o which can be inserted via 'modprobe appletalk'.

> The alias statement tells the kernel that when it needs network protocol
> family 5 (net-pf-5), it should load the appletalk.o kernel module.  I
> don't know why this doesn't work automatically in the RedHat 6.2 kernel.

This has nothing to do with the kernel ... the kernel level autoloader
just calls 'modprobe net-pf-5' which, when nothing is specified in the
/etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules) file, does nothing.
The suggested entry associates net-pf-5 with the appletalk-module.

BTW: a much better way to load the appletalk module would be a
'modprobe appletalk' in the rc.atalk script. Then, when shutting down
netatalk, you can also add 'sleep 10; rmmod appletalk' after atalkd is
terminated. This way, restarting netatalk does not require a reboot!

Craig