Debian 2.2

Clayton Stapleton vernon@impulsedata.net
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 07:44:48 -0700

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> I don't know enough about what you did to answer that; did you
> run LILO from the Debian system to install a new copy to the MBR?
> and if so, was the Mandrake partition mounted at the same time?  Maybe
> it got the kernel from there.
>
> You just have to understand how LILO works.  It's not too hard to set it
> up to dual-boot between two distros, but to do that, you need to have
> both partitions mounted so that lilo can see both kernels, and also
> specify different root partitions for the two.  At least that's how
> I usually do it; but I suppose you could also have a LILO on the MBR
> which delegates to one or the other partition, and then on the partition
> have another copy of LILO which allows you to select which kernel.  But
> I haven't tried that yet; I usually just pick one distro as the "master"
> and do all the LILO management from there.
>
> I also don't think I've ever tried to get Debian to do it "automagically",
> if it even can; I tend to manage it by hand.  Is that what you did, is
> there a menu option to find other distros on the system and set them up
> as bootable also?
>
> --
>   _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com

Debian 2.2 gives you a choice of activating the partitions you want to
install the distro on. I choose /dev/hdb1 for / (root), /dev/hdb5 for /usr,
/dev/hdb6 for /tmp and /dev/hdb7 for /home. And that is where things
were installed. When it asked about lilo it gave two choices, the MBR
and the /boot partition, I choose the /boot partition because Mandrake
uses the MBR on /dev/hda1 and has a program for selecting alternate
distro's startup's. I will go back and update version 2.2.15-4mdk to
version 2.2.17pre6.deb just to have the system operating as planned
by Debian.

Clay Stapleton