Debian 2.2

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:24:12 -0700

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 11:46:12AM -0700, Clayton Stapleton wrote:
> Hi Folks;
> Installed Debian 2.2 on /dev/hdb1. On /dev/hda1 Mandrake 7.1
> is installed. After setting up Debian, took a look at dmesg.
> The first line starts with "Linux version 2.2.15-4mdk whereas
> I was expecting the version 2.2.17pre6.deb. Why didn't
> Debian's install use its own version of the kernel?

I don't know enough about what you did to answer that; did you
run LILO from the Debian system to install a new copy to the MBR?
and if so, was the Mandrake partition mounted at the same time?  Maybe
it got the kernel from there.

You just have to understand how LILO works.  It's not too hard to set it
up to dual-boot between two distros, but to do that, you need to have
both partitions mounted so that lilo can see both kernels, and also
specify different root partitions for the two.  At least that's how
I usually do it; but I suppose you could also have a LILO on the MBR
which delegates to one or the other partition, and then on the partition
have another copy of LILO which allows you to select which kernel.  But
I haven't tried that yet; I usually just pick one distro as the "master"
and do all the LILO management from there.

I also don't think I've ever tried to get Debian to do it "automagically",
if it even can; I tend to manage it by hand.  Is that what you did, is
there a menu option to find other distros on the system and set them up
as bootable also?

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org