New browser review

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:58:14 -0400

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Shawn T. Rutledge [mailto:rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com]
-> Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 2:55 PM
-> To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
-> Subject: New browser review
->
-> There's a Debian package for Galeon now, so I installed it
-> this weekend.
->
-> It's usable.  It's kindof slow starting up, and takes a lot
-> of memory;
-> initially there were 5 or 6 processes taking up around 32 megs each
-> according to top, as soon as I fired it up and went to
-> slashdot (but,
-> quite likely those are threads rather than processes, in which case
-> the whole thing was probably taking up 32 megs).  Once it's
-> up, at least
-> you can scroll the pages more smoothly than in Netscape.  The layout
-> algorithms appear mostly adequate.  Tables at tvgrid.com (my usual
-> browser torture test  :-)  seem to come out wider than in
-> Netscape though;
-> maybe the word wrap is different or something.  Opening a new window
-> takes more time than in Netscape.  I think I got it to crash somehow,
-> but it's not as delicate as Mozilla.  I might actually try
-> to use this
-> on a regular basis, but with the high memory usage and lack
-> of speed,
-> I think its main advantage over Netscape is going to be that
-> it hopefully
-> crashes or hangs less.  Another cool thing was that when I started it
-> for the first time, it offered to import my Netscape bookmarks, and
-> apparently did it successfully, too.  Even the personal
-> toolbar bookmarks
-> are now the same.

Galeon uses mozilla browsing engin.  I have downloaded Netscape 6
wich uses the same technology and it uses memory the same way.
It seams you can not run this enging with less then 128 M if
you don't want to use a lot of virtual memory.

I have tried the same engin on Windows and I run into the same problem.
It does not take more then 25% of the CPU time but will take 32M or
more of memory.

I am kind of dissapointed it is bloated like that.

The Wolf