New browser review

Lucas Vogel lvogel@exponent.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:08:53 -0700

There could be hope, though. From what little I've seen/heard about 6, it's
going to be very customizable thanks to XML. I'm assuming that it will give
users the option of cutting the fat if they chose to as well...

Lucas Vogel

-----Original Message-----
From: Furmanek, Greg [mailto:Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 8:58 AM
To: 'plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us'
Subject: RE: New browser review

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Shawn T. Rutledge [mailto:rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com]
-> Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 2:55 PM
-> To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
-> Subject: New browser review
->
-> There's a Debian package for Galeon now, so I installed it
-> this weekend.
->
-> It's usable.  It's kindof slow starting up, and takes a lot
-> of memory;
-> initially there were 5 or 6 processes taking up around 32 megs each
-> according to top, as soon as I fired it up and went to
-> slashdot (but,
-> quite likely those are threads rather than processes, in which case
-> the whole thing was probably taking up 32 megs).  Once it's
-> up, at least
-> you can scroll the pages more smoothly than in Netscape.  The layout
-> algorithms appear mostly adequate.  Tables at tvgrid.com (my usual
-> browser torture test  :-)  seem to come out wider than in
-> Netscape though;
-> maybe the word wrap is different or something.  Opening a new window
-> takes more time than in Netscape.  I think I got it to crash somehow,
-> but it's not as delicate as Mozilla.  I might actually try
-> to use this
-> on a regular basis, but with the high memory usage and lack
-> of speed,
-> I think its main advantage over Netscape is going to be that
-> it hopefully
-> crashes or hangs less.  Another cool thing was that when I started it
-> for the first time, it offered to import my Netscape bookmarks, and
-> apparently did it successfully, too.  Even the personal
-> toolbar bookmarks
-> are now the same.

Galeon uses mozilla browsing engin.  I have downloaded Netscape 6
wich uses the same technology and it uses memory the same way.
It seams you can not run this enging with less then 128 M if
you don't want to use a lot of virtual memory.

I have tried the same engin on Windows and I run into the same problem.
It does not take more then 25% of the CPU time but will take 32M or
more of memory.

I am kind of dissapointed it is bloated like that.

The Wolf