xmms .. ughh..

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:18:39 -0700

On Nov 21,  3:01pm, Jason wrote:

> Anyone else have any luck at all with xmms??

I've never tried building it by hand, but it works quite well for me.

> After "fixing" several screwups in the source code (I had to replace
> several instances of included .h files with the FULL PATH of the file,
> as the makefile configure generates screws up the subdirectories for
> unknown reasons.. since this doesnt effect the actual code, I doubt
> this is the cause of the fact xmms does nothing at all but look pretty
> and generate segfaults...) and define socklen_t to int (god damn

It sounds to me like you ought to look into the reasons for your
configuration problems.  You should not need to add full pathnames
for the compiler to find your header files.  The configuration script
should be generating a CFLAGS (or the like) with the correct -I
switches for the compiler to find your header files.

> glibc, this only effects a file called http.c, why an MP3 player ought
> to be accessing the web remains a mystery to me.. I think the feature

This is so that it can play streaming MP3s.  (One particularly handy
feature of xmms is that you can save streaming MP3s to disk.)

> creature may have entirely destroyed this programs functionality...)
> . it FINALLY compiled, but it doesnt do a damn thing... until it
> crashes.

Again, I think you need to revisit your configuration problems.

Kevin