High speed networking

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:28:00 -0700

On May 26,  9:54am, Joel Dudley wrote:

> I am concerned, however, that a 100Mbps network
> connection to the data is going to slow down the dynamic creation of the web
> as compared to reading it off the 10, 000 RPM SCSI RAID disks (obviously).
> Are there any good ultra high speed networking connections available that
> work well under linux?

Myrinet.  The scientific labs that build those large Beowulf clusters
that you hear about swear by it.  These cards give you full duplex
1.28 Gigabit/second links.  See

    http://www.myri.com/myrinet/overview/index.html

I have heard that this is quite a pricey solution, however, so you might
want to also look at ordinary gigabit ethernet.  See

    http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/

I don't have direct experience with either solution.

Kevin