Linux C/C++ (was RE: Linux Programmer)

Lucas Vogel lvogel@exponent.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:02:44 -0700

I have a question for you...

One of the things that I enjoy on the MS platform is the use of COM objects.
I can access dll's from all over the system by querying the common
interface, etc. blah blah blah. Is there a way to do that on Linux as well?
I know this is possible with CORBA, but it seems like you also have to know
about CORBA and IDL, etc. That or you have to #include what you want to use.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Trent Shipley [mailto:tshipley@symbio-tech.com]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 9:29 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: Linux Programmer

I think one element that got lost in all this is that BASIC was originally
designed as an entry level teaching tool with a secondary goal of being an
easy-to-use programming language for the "masses."

VB is oriented toward quick-and-dirty programming for business.  It is
supposed to be a low skill, super-rapid development environment for modest
projects and production of GUI interfaces.

For these applications C++ and C are way too expensive media for
development.

GNU-Linux-BSD <liberty ware product> all lack the high (COBOL) and low
(VB-esque) development environments suitable for cost-conscious
business-oriented development projects.