High speed networking

Joel Dudley joel@silverw.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 09:54:35 -0700

Got a question for you all.  Our current e-commerce program reads data from
it's hard disk (databases) before dynamicly creating commerce pages.  Now
this data is sensitive and I told my boss that we should not have this data
in our DMZ.  I want to move it behind our firewall and access it over a
secure network connection.  I am concerned, however, that a 100Mbps network
connection to the data is going to slow down the dynamic creation of the web
as compared to reading it off the 10, 000 RPM SCSI RAID disks (obviously).
Are there any good ultra high speed networking connections available that
work well under linux? Does anyone have experience with a better solution
for our problem (using Linux of course)  than the one I am proposing??
Thanks.

-Joel

P.S. because of all of the help I have recieved from PLUG members I have
successfuly replaced 3 problematic NT servers at our company with Linux
solutions resulting in a more efficient and stable network.  Your comments
are and have been greatly appreciated.