XFree86 4.0 and Gnome

Todd C. Ames todd@integertech.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:09:10 -0700

Hello all,

I'm new to PLUG...greetings.

I manually upgraded my X on a rh 6.0 box recently in order to support my ATI
r128 Pro card.

a) I used XFree86 -configure to configure my XF86config.

b) when I issue an 'XFree86' command, X pulls up fine. But when I 'startx,'
X crashes with Gnome errors.

I think gnome is looking for old libs.  Do I need to recompile Gnome to get
it to work with XF86 4.0?  I didn't compile Gnome manually (and never
have) -- I just have the rpm version that came with rh 6.0.

I just ordered rh 6.2 from cheapbytes (it has XFree86 3.3.6 or >, which
supports my card anyway), but I'd really like to know how I can get XF86 4.0
working since I went through all the trouble I had installing it manually.

Thanks,

Jackson Ames