Internships -- Potential Rules

KeithSmith compunerd@gci-net.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:36:33 -0700

One of the things that I think about is the
shortage of programmers I keep hearing about and
some of the proposed solutions such as lower
immigration requirements.

I do not at this time work for corporate America
because I have found most companies want my life
and soul if they pay me halfway decent, even if
they don't. They expect nights, weekends, and
holidays.  Several years ago I worked for a large
international company for a very short time that
had the attitude if you touch it you own it.  They
made their IS employees take a phone with them on
vacation. Yeah I type it right.  I made my first
vacation however I resigned and did not return
upon taking that vacation.  One of the things that
opened my eyes about that company was when I heard
I had replaced an employee that was fired for
refusing to work the 4th of July weekend.

I find corporate America does not want to invest
in its employees. The sign says "No Training
Here",  "You want a life? - Not Here!", "Pay and
benefits - that's for the CEO and his high level
buddies".

I said all that to say this:

If corporate America were to start taking an
interest in the youth of this country in high
school and college though good scholarships,
technology grants, and internships, coupled with a
better working environment, benefit package, and
work schedule, then maybe there would be more
talent coming into high tech jobs and maybe they
would not quit after a few years to sell cars to
get out of the rat race.

I've met a few people who have dropped out because
they could make a decent living without all the
hassle.

I hope corporate America wakes up soon and starts
giving back to those who make it all possible.

Somebody had to say it, I guess it was me.

Keith

My suggestion to corporate America is to