Internships -- Potential Rules

John Mosier jmosier@netzone.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:43:32 -0700

Over the next couple of weeks I will be developing an agreement
that will allow Excelco to establish a few internships.  I will also
be seeking the SPONSORSHIP of others in the Linux Community.

In order to make it work for Excelco, I will need commitments from
those who accept the internships.  Here are a few of the stipulations
that I will have.

1)  Intern would be expected to work specific hours and commit to
a pattern of dependability.  For someone who works full time, this
will be work consistently from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM.  This work
schedule is essential for the intern to carry his/her weight as a
team member.  Interaction with other team members cannot be
effective if punctuality is not observed.

2)  Intern would be expected to commit to stay with Excelco for
a specifically agreed-upon period.  This will be from 12 months
to 30 months. Our acceptance of the intern to work here is mostly
a drain on other Excelco resources at the beginning.  As the intern
becomes proficient, that intern will become valuable to others and
there will be a temptation to leave about the time the intern is a
productive member of the Excelco team.

3)  Intern would have to have references regarding strength of character.
The ability to research problems independently, try new experiences,
learn new hardware and software technologies, stick to a problem for
days on end, ... all are valuable characteristics.  An unquenchable thirst
for knowledge about Open Source tools and Linux issues is a valuable
asset.

Excelco is willing to provide computers, software, a place to work,
books, evaluation software, peripheral hardware, and other materials
suitable for the learning experience and promotion of the development
of the individuals.  I see this environment as a Linux laboratory without
the formal classroom environment that usually happens in a school.

I posted this into the PLUG list in order to get the feedback from other
PLUG members.

Please post your suggestions to PLUG.  I will gather the responses
and develop my agreement from what I learn and from what Excelco
needs.  I am not ready to accept applications at this moment.  Let
us develop the agreement, then we will have a more formal way to
process applicants and make our selections.

John Mosier,  Excelco      Fax:  (602) 992-2026  Voice: (602) 992-8076
http://www.swinfo.com                                   http://www.excelco.com
2990 E Northern Ave, Ste A-101, Phoenix, AZ  85028    (800) 553-6911