Gateway Microserver

Charlie Bullen cello@primenet.com
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:09:11 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01BFD20B.858321A0

Hello, I am new to linux and sort of coming in the back door. We have a =
Gateway Microserver at work that we use as mail server, web server proxy =
server and samba server. This box came preconfigured. I did have to make =
some changes in the dns settings because it comes with a private set of =
IP addresses and we have a difffernt set of IP address for our LAN =
supplied by a 3rd party vendor and yet another set supplied by USWest, =
our T1 supplier. But basically the machine worked out of the box. Here =
is my problem. Gateway only give support for hosting 1 domain name on =
the server. This box uses Apache 1.3 which seems to be able to do =
virtual hosting for several domains. I plan on hosting 5 domains, none =
of which will generate much traffic.=20

Yesterday I went to /etc/admserv/conf and opened the httpd.conf file =
with pico, which is the Apache HTTP Server configuration file. I saved =
the file under a differnt name in the same directory so that if I messed =
my changes up I could go back to where I was before. I also downloaded =
the file to my Win98 machine.=20

Here is the mystery. Now if I view the contents of either the httpd.conf =
file or the http1.conf file they both have reverted to the original =
configuration as provided by gateway that doesnt even reference our =
domain, www.travelexecutives.com. What is even more confusing is that as =
fare as I can tell, Apace is still serving up the proper web page. This =
I checked by telneting to my shell account on a different server and =
viewing www.travelexecutives.com via lynnx .

So what has happened to the httpd.conf file and then ultimatley I need =
to get back to the original task of setting up the multiple virtual =
hosts. Whew

REgards,

Charlie Bullen
=20

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01BFD20B.858321A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello, I am new to linux and sort of =
coming in the=20
back door. We have a Gateway Microserver at work that we use as mail =
server, web=20
server proxy server and samba server. This box came preconfigured. I did =
have to=20
make some changes in the dns settings because it comes with a private =
set of IP=20
addresses and we have a difffernt set of IP address for our LAN supplied =
by a=20
3rd party vendor and yet another set supplied by USWest, our T1 =
supplier. But=20
basically the machine worked out of the box. Here is my problem. Gateway =
only=20
give support for hosting 1 domain name on the server. This box uses =
Apache 1.3=20
which seems to be able to do virtual hosting for several domains. I plan =
on=20
hosting 5 domains, none of which will generate much traffic. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yesterday I went to /etc/admserv/conf =
and opened=20
the httpd.conf file with pico, which is the Apache HTTP Server =
configuration=20
file. I saved the file under a differnt name in the same directory so =
that if I=20
messed my changes up I could go back to where I was before. I also =
downloaded=20
the file to my Win98 machine. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here is the mystery. Now if I view the =
contents of=20
either the httpd.conf file or the http1.conf file they both have =
reverted to the=20
original configuration as provided by gateway that doesnt even reference =
our=20
domain, <A =
href=3D"http://www.travelexecutives.com">www.travelexecutives.com</A>.=20
What is even more confusing is that as fare as I can tell, Apace is =
still=20
serving up the proper web page. This I checked by telneting to my shell =
account=20
on a different server and viewing <A=20
href=3D"http://www.travelexecutives.com">www.travelexecutives.com</A> =
via lynnx=20
.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So what has happened to the httpd.conf =
file and=20
then ultimatley I need to get back to the original task of setting up =
the=20
multiple virtual hosts. Whew</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>REgards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Charlie Bullen</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01BFD20B.858321A0--