Help with SSH2 and tunneling X?

foodog@uswest.net foodog@uswest.net
Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:46:11 -0700

Kevin Buettner wrote:

> On Jun 1,  1:16pm, Mark Peoples wrote:
>
> > I think you hit the nail on the head earlier...I think you may need to do
> > some funky nat stuff...I tried to do the same thing, but gave up after a few
...snip

> But it shouldn't have to figure out how to go through the firewall.
> The DISPLAY variable should be set to the name (or IP address) of the
> remote machine that you're logged into.  The display number is
> adjusted to be something unused on the remote machine.

There's the misunderstanding.  DISPLAY gets set to the
address of the machine
on which the X data gets displayed - the home machine using
the reserved
address 192.168.0.2, behind the firewall.

Presumably, one can configure the firewall so that traffic
appearing on
"port X" gets routed to the correct address within the
protected
subnet.  You'd set DISPLAY to point to the firewall and it
would handle the
packet header manipulation.  I think it's time for me to
read the "firewall
piercing faq" or whatever that doc's called.

When I get it going I'll report back on the details. Thx
much,
Steve