Help with SSH2 and tunneling X?

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:31:00 -0700

On Jun 1,  1:16pm, Mark Peoples wrote:

> I think you hit the nail on the head earlier...I think you may need to do
> some funky nat stuff...I tried to do the same thing, but gave up after a few
> hours. Essentially, I was trying to ssh to a machine here at work from one
> of my workstations at home (1 is linux, 1 is nt, 1 is 2k)...none worked. The
> display variable is set automagically on the target machine. However, I
> don't think it could quite figure out how to go through the firewall on the
> way back...

But it shouldn't have to figure out how to go through the firewall.
The DISPLAY variable should be set to the name (or IP address) of the
remote machine that you're logged into.  The display number is
adjusted to be something unused on the remote machine.  ssh sets up a
tunnel connecting this port on the remote machine to your display on
your local machine.  It also runs xauth for you.  It could be the case
that ssh on either your end or the remote end has X forwarding
disabled.  Also, I've seen a case where X forwarding appears to be
enabled, but attempting to start an X application doesn't work because
of wrong authentication.  (I haven't spent much time investigating why
though.)