Help with SSH2 and tunneling X?

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:44:05 -0700

On Jun 1,  3:46pm, foodog@uswest.net wrote:

> There's the misunderstanding.  DISPLAY gets set to the
> address of the machine
> on which the X data gets displayed - the home machine using
> the reserved
> address 192.168.0.2, behind the firewall.

Two points:

1) It can't work because 192.168.X.Y are private network numbers.
   (And you'll never be able to get a route to one of these numbers
   from the outside.)

2) Even if it could work, you wouldn't want to do things this
   way because if you'd likely be sending the X protocol data
   unencrypted.

The correct way to do it is to have ssh do a port forward of the port
that X uses and then set DISPLAY on the remote machine to the remote
machine with the display number suitable changed to reflect the port
forward that was done.  You really need to read the ssh docs and take
a look at your ssh config on your local and remote machines because
ssh should be able to do all of this for you automagically.  (Including
the setting of DISPLAY.  I.e, if you have some script which is setting
DISPLAY for you, get rid of the statement which is doing the setting,
because it's screwing things up.)