GUI - help

Carl Parrish cparrish@computerprep.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 20:01:57 -0700

Hello everyone, I've been using Linux at home for awhile now. Mostly just to
test shell scripts or try a Unix command out at home (have it running on an
older box). But with everyone at AZIPA saying that Linux was ready for the
desktop I've been talking friends into trying it. They of couse want to use
the GUI (something I would have never tried. :-) ). And I'm finding that I
don't know nearly as much about Linux as I thought I did, so I'm hoping
someone can help. First using Red Hat 6.0. I have Gnome runing but can't
seem to get any fonts working. and linuxconfig doesn't seem to be able to
help. I'm sure Red Hat must come with tons of font though right? So How do I
use them? Next a friend of mine has a AGP Graphics Accelerator His monitor
is a Viewmate 17" . I can't find AGP in the published graphics card list and
I tried setting the refesh rate and everthing but I still can't get a GUI
running on his system. Any one have any ideas? Or a url where I can find the
driver for his card? And is there a driver for DVD Rom drives? (I'm actually
assuming that this is okay since I loaded Linux onto his system with the DVD
player, however from the comand line I wasn't able to access it.)

Any help you can give will be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,
Carl Parrish
Webmaster
ComputerPREP.com